Q: How do I deal with the insurance issues and hospital bills?
A: Medical bills are just another distraction for many new parents of multiples. Remember, your insurance plan’s customer service representatives and employer’s human resource departments are there to help you. Their job includes answering questions about your benefits. Raising Multiples offers these pointers:
- Start by putting the multiples on the insurance policy as soon as possible.
- Request help from the hospital’s social worker or the NICU case manger.
- Stay clear and calm when making contact with billing offices and insurance companies.
- Become an educated healthcare consumer. Find out the latest recommendations on your issue from the appropriate national medical academy.
- Know the benefits available to you through your employer.
- Know how to appeal a decision from an insurance company.
- Don’t give up. If at first you don’t succeed ask to speak to someone of higher authority.