Q. What is an IEP? How does it differ from a 504 Plan?

A: When a child with a disability attends school and requires accommodations, two different plans may be used. First, if a child requires only reasonable accommodations, this would fall under Section 504 and is often called a “504″ plan. Generally, this means that a child has a disability, but is able to meet classroom objectives. A 504 plan is a written document that outlines what accommodations the child requires.

If, however, a child requires specialized instruction due to their disability, they fall under the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) and are given an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). This is a legal document that describes the disability and outlines what specialized instructions and accommodations are required.

Click here for resources and references to accompany our FAQs