Q: Who do I contact first for help?

A: Each state decides which of its agencies will be the lead agency in charge of early intervention services for infants and toddlers with special needs. In your state, the first contact person may be an Early Interventionist (an early childhood specialist working with infants and toddlers), someone with the lead agency, or someone in your state’s Child Find office.

To find out who can help you in your area, contact the person listed on your State Resource Sheet under “Programs for Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities.” If you don’t have a State Resource Sheet, call NICHCY at 1-800-695-0285 (Voice/TT). Explain that you want to find out about early intervention services for your child and ask for a name in your area.

Click here for resources and references to accompany our FAQs